Monday, June 17, 2013

Wild at Heart, Epiloge: What Now?

Yes, I actually read this part of the book. In college I had a professor who would give reading quizzes. We were able to take notes on them and use them for the quiz. Quiz day came, and there on the quiz was a question from the preface of the book. Who asks a question from the preface? Do people actually read them? Since that day I have read the preface, forward, and epilogue of every book I've read, and there has been some good stuff I've found in them. This book is no different.

"The journey has begun. The battle has been joined." But it's crucial to remember that this is just the beginning. Through these last few months, I have gained so much, but there is still a long way to go. But as we move forward there are some important things to keep in mind. John gives a few pieces of advice as the reader concludes this book.

"First, do not rush to the next thing. The church is full of fads, the world a circus of distraction... Your masculine journey is the central mission of your life; everything else depends on your success here. So stay with this!" I'm not a big fan of the current public education system. I feel that too much of it is focused on memorizing facts to put down on a test, and then it is all forgotten to make room for the next set of facts. How much is actually retained? We make people that are good test takers and short term memorizers, but how many learners are formed?

This is not a lesson to be learned to pass a test, this is life, and yours is not the only one impacted by your journey. Go back over things you don't recall or are still working through. Part of the point of writing this is so it is out there when you need it. The life that we were made for is there for us and "there is nothing to compare with the freedom and life that can be had. But you must choose it. You must be intentional. Or the world, your flesh, and the devil will have you for lunch." Don't treat this as a school lesson, this is too crucial to be memorized and forgotten.

Second, John suggests the Daily Prayer that can be found and downloaded at his website (http://store.ransomedheart.com/daily-prayer.html). I have listened to it, but haven't done much with it. But it is a very inclusive prayer, inviting God into every aspect of life. Listen to it; modify it to your life. In addition to this he recommends using the Field Manual he wrote for the book. I tried to work through it years ago but didn't get very far. I'm hoping at some point to actually be able to do a study like this with a group of men and at that point really dive into the Manual.

The next recommendation is where the blog is headed next, "Read Fathered by God next. I wrote that book as the sequel to this one; it lays out the six stages of the masculine journey and how to find the initiation we all need to become men in full, whole, and holy men. Wild at Heart is masculinity 101, Fathered by God takes you a whole lot farther down the field." Fathered by God is actually a reprinting of The Way of the Wild Heart, and it has a few chapters removed. I'll be working with the original text, and I recommend reading that one. And again, this is where I am headed next, so let's continue the journey together.

"Get some guys together. You need brothers. Allies... a band of very dangerous men." That goes without saying. My wife and I are beginning the next stage of life as Life Group leaders at church. Right now it is us and two other couples beginning to do life together. I don't know either of these guys that well, one of them at all, yet, but God has brought us together in order to become Men of God and spiritual leaders for our families.

We are also told to "Go after other men." This blog started as a burden on my heart. A burden to reach out to men, doing what I can to help them on this journey. We have the responsibility to help boys become men, and to help men become Men of God. The next book shows us a little how to do this. But it is a crucial part of the journey, and it is one of the most fulfilling aspects of masculinity.

"Now, if you are married, two things: Give your wife Captivating to read (it's the feminine version of this book)... Then the two of you should read Love and War, which Stasi (his wife) and I wrote together about marriage from this point of view." I have given my wife Captivating, and we do have Love and War, but it is packed in a storage unit at the moment, but as soon as possible I want to read it with her. I have wasted too much time not doing that.

"Pursue your further healing. Learn how to fight. Develop a conversational intimacy with God... This is only the beginning. There is an entire kingdom waiting through this door."

It has begun, keep pressing on with me my brothers.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment