Monday, September 15, 2014

When God Moves

"Whenever the cloud was lifted from over the tent, afterward the sons of Israel would then set out; and in the place where the cloud settled down, there the sons of Israel would camp. At the command of the Lord the sons of Israel would set out, and at the command of the Lord they would camp; as long as the cloud settled over the tabernacle, they remained camped. Even when the cloud lingered over the tabernacle for many days, the sons of Israel would keep the Lord’s charge and not set out. If sometimes the cloud remained a few days over the tabernacle, according to the command of the Lord they remained camped. Then according to the command of the Lord they set out. If sometimes the cloud remained from evening until morning, when the cloud was lifted in the morning, they would move out; or if it remained in the daytime and at night, whenever the cloud was lifted, they would set out. Whether it was two days or a month or a year that the cloud lingered over the tabernacle, staying above it, the sons of Israel remained camped and did not set out; but when it was lifted, they did set out." -Numbers 9.17-22

When the tabernacle was set up, the presence of God descended upon it like a cloud by day and like fire by night. As long as the presence of God remained over there they stayed camped. But when the presence of God lifted, they set out. Sometimes they would be in one place only a few days, other times it was year, but they never moved until God did.

This passage has a lot of significance for me. In my last ministry assignment things were rough. I was young, passionate, and trying to change the world. The people were old, comfortable, and planned to stay that way. And on top of that the finances were running out. I wasn't sure what to do. No one was helping me, and nothing I was trying worked. I left my office early one day and went to a near by lake with my dog to clear my head.

We walked through the woods along the shore line and I allowed myself to simply cry out to God. I honestly have no idea what I said, and that really doesn't matter. But I remember God's response as if it happened yesterday. I didn't hear God audibly, the clouds didn't part with an angel appearing to give me a message. But very clearly God gave me the answer about what to do. He said to me, "Give Me one year." The following week when I was in my office I began to plan out sermons for the next year, and April 19, 2013 was where everything ended. I was committed to stick it out, to endure the trials, waiting on God to move for one year. Within days of this event I read this passage from Numbers and found the confirmation that I had heard correctly.

Men, are you willing to stay where you are until God moves? That church experience was one of the most difficult things I have ever been through, and I honestly had no idea how I was going to make it through another year. But God had clearly spoken to me, and given me the confirmation of Scripture, so I committed to it. Maybe you feel your time is complete, and you're ready to get on to the next thing, but God says "Wait, not yet". Are you willing to trust Him and stay put? Maybe you're in a situation that you don't want to leave. You're in a good job, and have lots of security, but God is moving, are you willing to follow Him?

My experience with waiting a year ended up being a test of obedience. Four months later, to the day, on August 19, 2012, I preached my final message in that church and walked out the doors for the last time. God didn't make me struggle through the final eight months that I had committed to, He simply wanted to see if I was willing to do it. Not every experience will be like that. God isn't always going to end it early. Sometimes He might, and when He does are we willing to follow?

Let us always move when God does, no matter what the situation is like. And may we only ever move when God does. Let us stay when God's presence hovers, and set out when it lifts. And when it lifts, let us follow it to the next place that it sets down, and stay put until it moves again.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment