Sunday, November 23, 2014

Diet

"You shall not eat any detestable thing." -Deuteronomy 14.3

God had given His people dietary instructions for their benefit. There were certain animals they were not to eat because they were considered unclean. I am not a nutritionist, and so I can't begin to explain how exactly it works, but the animals God permitted as clean actually gave the Israelites a very healthy diet, and the ones that were omitted as unclean don't provide that. Think of it this way, bacon doesn't do you any favors, and the Jews were not to eat bacon.

God sets His people up for the best life possible in every way, including the diet they eat. He wants the best for His people, and so He sets guidelines for them so that they take care of themselves. He instructs them not to eat any detestable thing, because it's in their best interest not to.

My wife and I were in Israel in January of 2013, our guide, a Jewish man in his early sixties, didn't look much older than his mid to late forties, see the picture below. It's largely due to the Mediterranean diet they eat.

Men, God created the body to function a certain way, and it functions best when we take care of it as He instructed. What does your diet look like? Yes, I know that in the New Testament God gives Peter the sheet vision permitting all animals to be eaten, but that isn't an excuse not to take care of our bodies.

I'll be honest, I have a big sweet tooth. The holiday season from Thanksgiving to Christmas is full of delicious, and unhealthy, sweet things to consume. As I've gotten older, and more aware of the fact that I'm not as young as I used to be, I've been hit with the reality of what am I putting into my body. I don't always do the best job, but I want to be better. Part of this is where my love of gardening has come from.

Let us take care of our bodies, starting with what we put in them. Let us honor God with what we eat.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment