Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Don't Curse, Pray

"You shall not curse God, nor curse a ruler of your people." -Exodus 22.28

I really didn't want to write on this verse, but as I started to write on the next one I knew that I couldn't overlook this. I'll be honest, I'm not very fond of the current President, and I'll leave it at that. But regardless of my personal feelings he is the President of the United States and has been given authority by God to rule, and God has given instructions about how to treat the leaders.

We are not to cure a ruler of our people. We are not to wish harm or misfortune upon him. We are not to curse his name. This is not to say we cannot state our opinion of their performance, especially with an elected official, after all, leaders are in power to better the lives of those they lead, and if they aren't doing that something needs to change. But when I voice my opinion, it must be done with the respect that God's appointed leader deserves.

Men, is this something you struggle with? Maybe it isn't the President, maybe it's your boss. Maybe your pastor. Maybe it's a senior member of your family. Here in Exodus 22 we are told not to curse our rulers, and 1 Timothy 2.1-4 states, "First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth."

Let us not grumble and complain, instead let us pray. Let us pray that our leaders will be Men of God. Men who seek His guidance and wisdom as they lead. Let us pray that they remember the reason for their leadership, and that they have the courage to do what is right. Let us pray for them, lifting them to God, not cursing them and wishing for their demise, if they are bad leaders that will happen on its own.

Let us lift our leaders to God in prayer

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment