Friday, July 4, 2014

Specific Gift

"For the gate of the court there shall be a screen of twenty cubits, of blue and purple and scarlet material and fine twisted linen, the work of a weaver, with their four pillars and their four sockets." -Exodus 27.16

As God continues to show Moses the plans for the tabernacle, He gets more specific as to who is to do certain tasks. Before it was simply a skilled craftsman, but now He specifically says it is to be the work of a weaver. This specific task involves a making a screen of material and fine twisted linen. There may have been a skilled craftsman with metal work, but he wouldn't be able to do this job. A skilled carpenter wouldn't be able to work with fabric like he could acacia wood. God specifically says that this is a job for a weaver.

Each of us have gifts, not all of them are the same, and that's the way it's supposed to be. We are unique, and we need eachother. All of us are called to the service of God, but not all of us are needed at the same time for every task. Sometimes a skilled weaver is needed, other times a skilled metal worker, and other times a skilled carpenter. But it is only when all of them combine their skills that the whole project can be completed.

Men, what is your reaction when your specific skill is not needed? Do you react in anger and bitterness? With jealousy? Or do you react with joy and humility? No one can do it all, God made it that way on purpose. But all of us have a skill to offer to His service. Is yours being finely tuned so that you are a skilled craftsman? Or are you neglecting it because you aren't needed at this moment?

Right now I'm not serving in full time ministry. I'll be honest, it's frustrating at time. Some Sunday's it's hard to get up and go to church because I'm just an attendee. It would be very easy to be angry and bitter, saying "God if this is what You're having me do, I'm not doing it because it isn't what I want." But where is that attitude going to get me? In the same situation until I learn my lesson, or worse, it could make me turn away from God completely.

That hasn't been my attitude this time (because I've learned from past experiences) and though my personal skill is not being called upon at the moment, I'm doing what I can to hone it. I write this blog, I'm helping teach a couple classes at church focused on new believer growth, and I'm getting ready to attack my Master's here in the next few weeks. I'm working to prepare my specific gift as much as I can, so that when it is needed I'm able to offer it.

We are all gifted in a specific area, find yours, develope it, be ready to use your specific gift.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment