Friday, October 10, 2014

No Honor from Men

"Then Balak’s anger burned against Balaam, and he struck his hands together; and Balak said to Balaam, 'I called you to curse my enemies, but behold, you have persisted in blessing them these three times! Therefore, flee to your place now. I said I would honor you greatly, but behold, the Lord has held you back from honor.' Balaam said to Balak, "Did I not tell your messengers whom you had sent to me, saying, "Though Balak were to give me his house full of silver and gold, I could not do anything contrary to the command of the Lord, either good or bad, of my own accord. What the Lord speaks, that I will speak"?'" -Numbers 24.10-13

Balaam has pronounced two blessings over Israel, and Balak isn't thrilled. He takes Balaam to one final place to see if maybe he will curse Israel, but once again Balaam pronounces a blessing. Balak is angry, and tells Balaam that God has kept every thing that he had offered from him. There will be no riches or honor bestowed upon Balaam from Balak. But at hearing this Balaam reminds him of what he has said from the beginning, that he can say nothing but what God has commanded him.

His words bring him no praise from men, but they bring the favor of God. Where when cast shame, God brings honor.

Men, sometimes the things God gives us to say are not popular, and they will divide us from others. Friendships may be broken, family may disown us, but we must remember that we live not for man's praise, but God's.

Let us speak the words of God, knowing that we will receive honor from Him.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment