Monday, February 2, 2015

When it Comes to Pass

"So the Lord gave Israel all the land which He had sworn to give to their fathers, and they possessed it and lived in it. And the Lord gave them rest on every side, according to all that He had sworn to their fathers, and no one of all their enemies stood before them; the Lord gave all their enemies into their hand. Not one of the good promises which the Lord had made to the house of Israel failed; all came to pass." -Joshua 21.43-45

The land has been divided, cities of refuge set up, and a portion given to the Levites. God has done all that He promised. There is peace in the land, and no enemy will stand before Israel. Every good thing that God promised Israel has come to pass. What next?

When everything comes to pass what happens? When you come to the place where you have "arrived" what do you do? I have hopes and dreams for the future. I'd love to have a piece of ground where I can escape to, grow 97-100% of my own produce, and be able to shoot guns there. I'm pursuing two master's degrees with the hope of returning to full time ministry at some point shortly after the completion of school. What happens if it comes to pass?

For a lot of us I think we'd set our sights on the next thing. Maybe another degree (I honestly don't see that happening for me), a bigger house, more stuff, the next promotion, etc. I don't want that to be what happens. If it all comes to pass I want my first response to be praise and contentment. I don't want to say, "Thanks God, now could we work on this?"

Men, that kind of attitude starts with contentment in the present, before everything comes to pass. It begins with being satisfied and thankful with what God has given us now. There is nothing wrong with dreaming and hoping for the future. It gives us a goal to shoot for. Contentment in the moment guards our hearts for the future. It keeps our motivation in check.

Let us be men who are grateful for what God has done. Let us be humble, and if it comes to pass, let us praise God and be content.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment