Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Voices

"The call is the expression of the nature of the One who calls, and we can only recognize the call if that same nature is in us.... The call of God is not a reflection of my nature; my personal desires and temperament are of no consideration. As long as I dwell on my own qualities and traits and think about what I am suited for, I will never hear the call of God.... The majority of us cannot hear anything but ourselves. And we cannot hear anything God says." Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, January 16.

There is so much in my head right now, I'm not even sure I know where to begin processing all of it. Recently it's been so overwhelming that I just haven't even tried. I'm tired. For the past few months I've felt a lot like Elijah in 1 Kings 19. Elijah defeated the prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel in 1 Kings 18 when God sent fire from heaven. There was an amazing showing of God's power, and in the very next chapter Jezebel promises to kill Elijah, and so he flees to Horeb.

This is the same mountain where Moses met with God and received the the Ten Commandments, as well as the instructions for the Tabernacle and the items within. This is a a place where God has met with man before. His power showed up in thunder and lightning which terrified the people. Elijah has just witnessed similar power on a different mountain. He comes to Sinai, and finds a cave where he sets up camp. God comes to him and asks what he is doing? The mission was to proclaim the message of God to the people and help Israel turn from pagan worship back to God. He begins the work, sees God do something amazing, but at the first sign of resistance, he runs away. On the mountain, God speaks to Elijah.

1 Kings 19.11-12, "So He said, 'Go forth and stand on the mountain before the Lord.' And behold, the Lord was passing by! And a great and strong wind was rending the mountains and breaking in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of a gentle blowing."

God tells him that He is passing by. There is a wind that is smashing the rocks and breaking apart the mountain, but God is not in it. There is a earthquake which is shaking the foundation of the mountain, but God is not in it. There is a fire, which consumes the vegetation on the mountain, but God is not in it. Then, after all of the power and chaos, there is a gentle blowing, and now God is on the scene. Elijah covers his face, and leaves the cave to meet God.

Up to this point, God is seen in power. He speaks with thunder and lightning, He splits the Red Sea and the Jordan River. City walls collapse, giants fall, fire descends from heaven. God shows Himself in mighty ways, doing the impossible, and yet here, Elijah meets God in gentleness and tenderness. The mighty forces of nature that demanded his attention did not captivate him, because God was not there, but when God shows up, Elijah goes out to meet him.

Right now I feel like my focus is on the wind of missing my family, the earthquake of what everyone is telling me to do, and the fire of everything I feel like I need to figure out. There are so many things that grab for my attention that I cannot hear the gentle blowing of God showing up and wanting to speak. God is mighty and powerful, He shows Himself in mighty ways, but He is a gentle, compassionate, loving Father, who desires to nurture and comfort His children. I feel like so many people involved in this are focused on the wind, earthquake, and fire in their own lives, that they are not hearing the gentle blowing of God. I feel like that is often the case in life. There are so many distractions, so many personal feelings and emotions that get in the way of what God is wanting to say. Chambers said it, "The majority of us cannot hear anything but ourselves. And we cannot hear anything God says."

I'm trying to figure out how to silence everything else, or at the very least look past it and tune it out. I feel like for far too long I've been focused on what everyone expects of me, how everyone sees me, and who everyone sees me to be. I don't want to listen to anything but God. I don't want anything else to captivate my attention. I want to be like Elijah, who knew the voice of God, and when He showed up, responded and went out to meet Him. I want to hear what He says, no matter what that message may be, and I want to respond in full obedience. I want all the voices but His to be silenced.

Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment