Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Identity Source

"Leah conceived and bore a son and named him Reuben, for she said, 'Because the Lord has seen my affliction; surely now my husband will love me.' Then she conceived again and bore a son and said, 'Because the Lord has heard that I am unloved, He has therefore given me this son also.' So she named him Simeon. She conceived again and bore a son and said, 'Now this time my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.' Therefore he was named Levi. And she conceived again and bore a son and said, “'This time I will praise the Lord.' Therefore she named him Judah. Then she stopped bearing." -Genesis 29.32-35

We find an interesting thought here, Leah, the first wife, the one that Jacob never wanted but got landed with, was unloved. God saw this and had compassion on her giving her children, while Rachel, the favorite wife, was barren. Leah conceives and has a son. She believes because of it Jacob will love her.

How many men want a son? I'll be honest, I do. I want someone to lead and guide on the masculine journey. But as I've thought about it over the past few days I've wondered how many men make a son their source of identity. I think for many it's just that. Men want sons, but why? I think for many it's a source of identity. And this is a problem.

As a father, it is your responsibility to make the world safe for your children. Your strength is there to protect and provide for your family. And yet you find your identity in a new born infant. This is a shaky foundation that can't hold up, because you've put your identity on someone who hasn't found their own yet, and needs you to help them find it.

Where is your identity found? What happens if you never have a son? How do you help someone find there identity when you base yours on them?

Men, if we would be men of God, our identity must be found in Him. And once we have our identity firmly rooted in God, we can help our sons find theirs.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment