Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lead Your Household

"She said, 'Here is my maid Bilhah, go in to her that she may bear on my knees, that through her I too may have children.' So she gave him her maid Bilhah as a wife, and Jacob went in to her. Bilhah conceived and bore Jacob a son. Then Rachel said, 'God has vindicated me, and has indeed heard my voice and has given me a son.' Therefore she named him Dan. Rachel’s maid Bilhah conceived again and bore Jacob a second son. So Rachel said, 'With mighty wrestlings I have wrestled with my sister, and I have indeed prevailed.' And she named him Naphtali. When Leah saw that she had stopped bearing, she took her maid Zilpah and gave her to Jacob as a wife. Leah’s maid Zilpah bore Jacob a son. Then Leah said, 'How fortunate!' So she named him Gad. Leah’s maid Zilpah bore Jacob a second son. Then Leah said, 'Happy am I! For women will call me happy.' So she named him Asher. Now in the days of wheat harvest Reuben went and found mandrakes in the field, and brought them to his mother Leah. Then Rachel said to Leah, 'Please give me some of your son’s mandrakes.' But she said to her, 'Is it a small matter for you to take my husband? And would you take my son’s mandrakes also?' So Rachel said, 'Therefore he may lie with you tonight in return for your son’s mandrakes.' When Jacob came in from the field in the evening, then Leah went out to meet him and said, 'You must come in to me, for I have surely hired you with my son’s mandrakes.' So he lay with her that night." -Genesis 30.3-16

In this first part of Genesis 30 we see family drama. There is the wife giving that we saw with Abraham, and the favoritism we found with Isaac. But what seems to be unique to Jacob is his absence in all of the decision making. His two wives are dictating what he'll do, who he'll be with each night, and even what his son's names will be (more on this later). Jacob is not leading his household as he should be.

Men, we are to be the head of our household. It is our role that God created us for. We are to be protector and provider. We've already looked at how we are to spiritually lead them back with Lot, but this goes beyond that. Fortunately, in America we don't have the issue of polygamy, that would have solved many of Jacob's issues right there, but the man is still the head of the household.

Ephesians 5 says that wives are to be subject to their own husbands. Ephesians 6 says that children are to obey their parents. There is a God created system of leadership that when executed correctly works. This is not saying that men are the only ones in the family with a valid point of view or opinion. But I have to state this because I'm reading a book that points out how today when we say something positive about masculinity it gets turned into saying something negative about femininity. Men talk with your wives and your children. Involve them in the decision making process, but ultimately you are the leader, and you are responsible for leading your household.

Do you want the drama that Jacob had? Then take your role seriously. Lead your household.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment