Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Turning Point

"So David departed from there and escaped to the cave of Adullam; and when his brothers and all his father’s household heard of it, they went down there to him. Everyone who was in distress, and everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was discontented gathered to him; and he became captain over them. Now there were about four hundred men with him." -1 Samuel 22.1-2

David has been on the run from Saul. He spent time among the Philistines, and only survived by acting like a madman. Now, the anointed king of Israel is hiding in a cave, but he is not left alone. His brothers and the rest of his family hear where he is and go to him. They probably came to offer him encouragement and supplies, and to not let him go through this hardship alone.

In addition to this, others begin to gather to him. Everyone who was in debt or distress, everyone who was discontented and wanted a change came to him. A small army begins to form with David as their leader. At this point I believe things begin to turn around for David. Yes, there is still a long and hard road ahead, but he is no longer alone.

There is a turning point in each of our lives. For me it was just over a year and a half ago. My wife and I were living in my parent's basement, feeling very alone, and then God opened a door for a new job. It financially provided for us, has allowed me to further my education, and has opened doors to share the Gospel. The basement was my cave of Adullam, but God did not abandon me there because He had placed a calling on my life.

Men, you have a calling on your life as well. In order to see its fulfillment you might spend some time in a cave, but know that the cave can be a turning point, not the final destination.

Let us be men who endure, and even in the cave, let us focus on the calling of God.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment