Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Excuses

"Then Moses said to the Lord, 'Please, Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither recently nor in time past, nor since You have spoken to Your servant; for I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.' The Lord said to him, 'Who has made man’s mouth? Or who makes him mute or deaf, or seeing or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now then go, and I, even I, will be with your mouth, and teach you what you are to say.'" -Exodus 4.10-12

Moses is running out of excuses. Everything he has brought up God has countered. He's given him a location, a name, and signs to perform. And even with these Moses is still unwilling to jump in with both feet. For some reason there is still fear and timidity, and so he starts making excuses for why he can't do this thing that God has asked. "I can't go, I don't speak well, never have." God's response is simple, "Who made your mouth? I did. God and I will be with you and show you what to say." God promises to be with him even in the area's of his physical limitations.

Men, what excuses are you making to God? Lack of time? Lack of money? Lack of help? Lack of... fill in the blank? What is your excuses? Now ask yourself, is that really the issue, or is it the security blanket you're holding on to, hoping God will change His mind? Think of what your fear is costing you.

First, it is costing you the chance to be part of something epic. God has a part for you in His story, a part only you can play, and fear is keeping you from it. Second, it's costing you time. The older I get I realize how short life is and how fast it goes by. I don't have time to waste being scared.

Third, fear costs us the opportunity to watch God do something great. Every shortcoming, every hindrance we see as preventing us from going, are just opportunities to see God work. A time issue is the opportunity to gain discipline, and watch God cut the unnecessary from our lives. A money issue is the chance to watch God come through and provide in ways we never imagined. A help issue is the chance to trust God and watch Him come through, and call others to use their gifts. Whatever your excuse is, it is the chance to watch God work wonders, and fear is keeping your from it.

God doesn't provide Moses with the words at that moment. He doesn't immediately become an eloquent communicator. God simply says, "I made your mouth. I will be with you. Trust me, and I will teach you what to say." Yet again there is the call to faith in God.

Without faith in God we cannot be part of His story. Without faith in God we cannot accomplish the epic. Without courage from God we cannot follow Him in faith. God has promised to be with us, and He will handle every excuse we can make if we'll trust Him.

What is keeping you from following? What are your excuses?

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment