Monday, May 5, 2014

Something Epic

"'Therefore, come now, and I will send you to Pharaoh, so that you may bring My people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.' But Moses said to God, 'Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the sons of Israel out of Egypt?' And He said, 'Certainly I will be with you, and this shall be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall worship God at this mountain.' Then Moses said to God, 'Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, "The God of your fathers has sent me to you." Now they may say to me, "What is His name?" What shall I say to them?' God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, 'Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, "I AM has sent me to you."'" -Exodus 3.10-14

God has gotten Moses' attention and now He begins to reveal the role He has for him in the epic story He's writing. It's a big role, and Moses is immediately overwhelmed and feeling inadequate. He wonders who he is to undertake a task like this. Why would God ever choose him? Was he capable of doing this thing that God was asking? But God promises to be with him, and says that he will bring the people to this very mountain to worship him. He gives him a familiar place, a destination he knows, as a sign that he is being sent.

Still not convinced, he raises another question, and God shares His name with him. God gets personal and intimate. For the first time we have God share His name. He doesn't identify Himself as the God of Abraham, but uses His name. In the remaining verses of chapter 3 God shares more of what's going to take place. Moses feels inadequate, and so God works to reassure him and give him confidence.

Men, we are called to be part of an epic story. God has a role for each of us that might seem overwhelming at first, but if we're willing to trust God, He will reassure us. He doesn't go into the specifics of the task, but He'll give us a few details so that we can get a vision for what He's about to do. And just as He got intimate and personal with Moses, He does so with us. Just as He promised to be with Moses, He promises to be with us.

God is calling you to be part of His epic story, are you willing to play your part? It may seem scary and overwhelming at the beginning, but God is writing this story, and He will not abandon us. He is calling us to be part of something epic, do you accept?

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment