Friday, December 26, 2014

Choose Life

"I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants, by loving the Lord your God, by obeying His voice, and by holding fast to Him; for this is your life and the length of your days, that you may live in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them." -Deuteronomy 30.19-20

Moses tells the people that they have two choices, life or death. They choose life by choosing to live obediently to God. Death is the result of choosing not to follow God. The choices have been clearly laid out for them, and they have seen the results of each choice, and now he urges them to choose life.

It really doesn't seem like it would be that hard of a choice. The results of choosing are life, blessing, and prosperity. Choosing to chase after the pagan gods results in defeat, poverty, humiliation, and death. God says follow Me and I'll take care of your every need. Why then do the people choose to rebel?

Satan has done his job well. He has managed to convince humanity that God does not have their best interest at heart for thousands of years. To this day people still live for themselves, not caring about God at all. And though life may seem good for them, it ends in death.

Men, we only have two choices, God or self, life or death. Choosing God does not mean that everything will always be sunshine and rainbows. Israel was about to face years of war as they took possession of the Promised Land. Choosing God does not mean that life become problem free. In the past few years I have been in very difficult ministry positions, been unemployed twice, had my wife in and out of the ER more times than I can count, moved back to my parent's house, and wondered what I went to school for if I wasn't going to have the chance to work in my field and fulfill my calling. But inspite of all of that, I have found life.

It is in those moments that God has revealed Himself to me and taught me so much. It is in the hard times that He has worked to shape my character and faith. It is in those difficult situations that I have learned to trust Him. And it is in those times that I have been molded more into the image of Christ. That is life.

Let us abandon self and follow after God. Let us trust Him always, both in the hardships and the blessings. Let us choose life.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment