Monday, October 21, 2013

The Way of the Wild Heart, Chapter 9: Raising the Warrior, part 4

"Let us focus on the young men, whom we see are the Warriors. They are strong (or valiant), the Word of God lives in them, and they have overcome the evil one. That's good. To cultivate this in a young man... it might help to think along three lines: Bravery, Conviction, and an Epic Story." We looked at Bravery which comes from Conviction, and now for the root of it all, an Epic Story.

"He will need a cause. He will need battles to fight. Far a young man in his twenties, this might mean a stint in the military service, or it might mean grad school. He might be encouraged to join the smoke jumpers, or a search-and-rescue outfit - some place that he is needed. Missions work would be timely now, especially in dangerous situations. Stories of great men fighting for a cause will help foster this. They need to see it modeled, and they need a story they can be invited into."

Seeing your life as part of an Epic Story is essential. Over the past year, maybe two or three, I really haven't had a sense of that. There hasn't been adventure, and I really haven't felt like I've been involved in any battle that matters. I haven't really needed any conviction, and there really has been no need for bravery. And it all comes down to the fact that I haven't seen my life as part of an Epic Story. Without an Epic Story to be part of, there is no life, we just exist. A man needs to know he's part of something bigger than himself and his present circumstances.

"There is something in the heart of a young man that says, 'Give me a cause. I am supposed to fight.' He is made for battle, and he must be given a Christianity that includes a great battle. The battle to behave yourself - the Christianity of 'just don't do anything bad' - will not suffice, I assure you. Minding your manners needs no Warrior. The young man becoming a Warrior needs a bigger story."

That is what my heart longs for, now more than ever. Right now at church I've been given some opportunity to be part of the larger work the church is doing. I lead a small group of young married couples with my wife; we've been doing that for almost six months now. Recently however, I've been invited to be part of something bigger. My pastor asked me to teach a three week class for new believers. They are really working to get people connected, and rooted in the new life that Christ offers. In addition to this, I've been asked to be part of a curriculum writing team that is working on a twelve week class to follow up the three week class, and take new believers deeper into the essentials of the Christian faith.

And as I'm doing this, I want more, but this is the role I've been given to play for the moment. I might not be satisfied, but I'm learning contentment because I know that all of this is warrior training for the next stage of my life, and it will, in some capacity, help many lives over the next several years. This is bigger than me, it's Kingdom work. And it's helping me to strengthen some of my gifts, and direct me to where my real passion lies. It's focusing my conviction and leading me to the battles I am called to fight.

"How desperately we need to recover a Warrior culture among men, if only on behalf of the young men who need Someone and Something to look up to. It may never happen in our churches - oh, how I pray it does - but it can happen in our fellowships of men."

As I've been working on this blog for most of this year, and thought about doing it for close to two years before starting it, I've really felt that this is the battle I am to fight. There are several things I'm passionate about, but recently reaching out to men and boys, and working to bring them through initiation has been the thing that has most stood out to me, and excited me. I haven't written much on my other blog because my mind has been very blank whenever I try to, but this one, I can't wait to get to it, and wish I had more time to just focus on it. This is the battle I am called to fight; this is where this Warrior must make his stand.

What are your passions? You are a Warrior, made in the image of a Warrior God, and you have been created to play a vital role in His Epic Story. Your life and strength are not yours simply to exist and get through life. They, like every other blessing, are yours to serve and bless others. You are a Warrior. "Above all, the boy needs to see his father is a Warrior, caught up in a great battle. Which brings us to men."

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment