Monday, January 27, 2014

Defend the Defenseless

"When Abram heard that his relative had been taken captive, he led out his trained men, born in his house, three hundred and eighteen, and went in pursuit as far as Dan. He divided his forces against them by night, he and his servants, and defeated them, and pursued them as far as Hobah, which is north of Damascus. He brought back all the goods, and also brought back his relative Lot with his possessions, and also the women, and the people." -Genesis 14.14-16

Today gets into a subject that I feel passionately about. Abram's nephew has been taken captive, and so Abram does something about it. He leads his trained men into battle, defeats the enemy, and rescues those who are prisoners. He's a man, his strength is needed, and so he takes action.

I know the gun debate is hot button right now, and will be most of the year. I'll be the first one to say I love the second amendment. When I have a house, my shotgun will be next to my bed so that I can protect my family if someone breaks into my home during the night. I want to get my concealed carry permit so that if I'm in public, say at a mall, and a shooting happens, I have the ability to do something to stop it.

As a husband and father, it is my responsibility to protect my family. God has blessed me with them, and entrusted me with their care and protection. As a man, God has given me strength and courage to protect society. I have the responsibility to do what I can to make the world a safer place. In times of crisis it is my responsibility to act. It is my job to defend the defenseless.

As men, this is our role and responsibility. We have strength to use on behalf of others. Our strength is ours to protect and serve. We don't go looking for a fight, but we're ready when one comes, and we stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves. When we have the ability to act, we must.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment