Monday, January 27, 2014

Work For it

"Abram said to the king of Sodom, 'I have sworn to the Lord God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth, that I will not take a thread or a sandal thong or anything that is yours, for fear you would say, "I have made Abram rich."  I will take nothing except what the young men have eaten, and the share of the men who went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their share."  -Genesis 14:22-24

I've debated on writing this section all day.  I have to be careful how I say what I'm about to write.  As I read these verses I kept thinking about how much of my generation is just looking for a handout like this.  So many don't want to work and feel that they are simply entitled to everything.  And on top if that we have a society that allows them to leech off of it.

It drives me crazy.  I'm all for helping people who need help.  I'm all about reaching out to those who cannot do for themselves for one reason or another.  But I am not a supporter of allowing, and empowering laziness.  And as I read this section I see a man who has no intention of taking a handout.

There is no shame in accepting help, something that I need to remind myself of time and again.  But help and handouts are two different things.  But a man works for what he has.  He invests his time and strength, and the reward is so much better because of what he has put into it.  A man doesn't take what he hasn't earned, and doesn't live off of the hard work of others as he sits lazily and gets fat off of their labor.  A man takes pride in the ability, and opportunity, to work hard.  There is something so satisfying about a hard days work.

Take joy in the opportunity you have to work, but don't be to proud as to refuse necessary help when it is offered.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment