Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Promise from God

"The Lord appeared to Abram and said, 'To your descendants I will give this land.' So he built an altar there to the Lord who had appeared to him." -Genesis 12.7

Abram left home, and followed God west, until they come to the land of promise. They reach the land of Canaan, and there God says, "This is the place, we're here, but it is not yet time." So Abram builds and altar to mark the spot where God appeared to Him and made the promise.

What promises has God made to you? What things has He laid on your heart that He will accomplish in you and through you? What have you done to mark them?

I've been out of professional ministry for since August 2012, and part of me has wondered if I'll ever get to do it again. I've had times of great doubt and frustration. Part of me has thought about just giving up, and finding something else to do for the next thirty odd years of my life. But part of me just can't let it go.

I still believe God is leading me back into a Church leadership role. I don't know what, when, or where, but I can't escape the prompting and passion of my heart. Again, this is part of my journey into the unknown with God.

As I've struggled with what to do, whether to stay the course, or change directions, I've thought about the "altars" in my life. I've had many people affirm the call on my life, even when I've felt it the least. My Bible has words of wisdom and encouragement written by professors and pastors who have walked with me and guided me. But those words can only take you so far. It comes down to the moments when God has spoken.

What has God spoken to you? What marks the moment? Listen to God, and cling to His promises. Build an altar.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment