Monday, January 20, 2014

Trust and Follow

"Now the Lord said to Abram, 'Go forth from your country, and from your relatives and from your father’s house, to the land which I will show you;'... So Abram went forth as the Lord had spoken to him;" -Genesis 12.1, 4a

God says to Abram, "Go, leave all that is familiar and secure, and follow me into the unknown." And Abram does it. Back in Genesis 4 Cain was told to wander. He was sentenced to a life of trust and dependence upon God, and he builds a city instead. But now we see Abram, a man in his mid seventies, being told to pack up and leave everything familiar, and follow a God whom he has never met before. But he does it.

How many of us would go? Abram at least got a heads up that the journey was beginning, sometimes we don't even get that. For almost a year and a half my wife and I have been on a journey into the unknown. Recently we've gotten some insight on how long this journey will last, but we still don't know where we are being led yet. But in the past several months we've learned to trust and follow God.

I think that's really what the beginning of the journey is all about, do you trust God enough to follow Him? I can tell you this much, the ultimate destination is never given to us. I've heard that it's because if we knew at the beginning the full scope of what was in store we wouldn't have the courage to take the first steps. But I think a bigger part of it is that if we knew where we were going, we wouldn't need the same faith and trust to get there.

God says, "Go where I will show you." Not go here to this specific place, but go where I will show you. God is leading us into the unknown. Faith is required with each step, and the journey contains trials we will be ready for when we reach them. But we must be willing to trust and follow, or we'll simply stay at home on the couch, watching others adventure on TV.

I don't want to watch others live, I want to live myself. Recently God has begun to give me some more directions, but it wasn't until I decided to trust Him that He could begin to lead me where we're going. I'm on a journey with God into the unknown. It isn't easy, and it isn't always happy, but I'm excited to see where the road leads.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment