Friday, January 24, 2014

Return

"He went on his journeys from the Negev as far as Bethel, to the place where his tent had been at the beginning, between Bethel and Ai, to the place of the altar which he had made there formerly; and there Abram called on the name of the Lord." -Genesis 13.3-4

After the incident in Egypt Pharaoh sends Abram away. He leaves Egypt and moves back towards the land God has promised him. And finally he comes back to the beginning, to the place where he first pitched his tents. The place where he first built an altar and called on the name of the Lord (Genesis 12.8). He returns to this place, and again calls on the name of the Lord.

Abram goes back to the place where it all began, the place where he first built the altar, and there he seeks the direction of God again. What are the places in your life like that?

When I was in college I had two spots on campus that I would go to and seek God, places where He had spoken to me before, places of significance. One was the Chapel, a large room with gorgeous stained glass windows. I'd go when no one else was there, and I'd find a spot up in the balcony where I could just sit in the darkness, the only light coming through the windows, and be alone with God. I have so many memories of encounters with God in this room, it was natural to seek Him there.

The second was a smaller venue, a little room, maybe 10 x 8, that we used as a prayer room for weeks of constant prayer. I'd spent many hours there reading the Scriptures and crying out to God. He'd spoken to me there and given me guidance. Part of me really misses these places, the "altars" in my life.

Now, to be clear, I don't have to be in either of those places to seek God. I can seek Him anywhere, and every where I encounter Him can be a new "altar". I have a newer one, though it's outside, and inaccessible right now. The only significance to the places is that they are places where God has spoken to me. That is why they built altars, to commemorate God speaking or acting on their behalf.

We need places like this in our lives. Places we can return to and remember what God has spoken to us. Where are your altars? Return to them, and connect with God again. And seek Him where you are now, build new ones.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment