Friday, April 18, 2014

Do the Right Thing

"Then their father Israel said to them, 'If it must be so, then do this: take some of the best products of the land in your bags, and carry down to the man as a present, a little balm and a little honey, aromatic gum and myrrh, pistachio nuts and almonds. Take double the money in your hand, and take back in your hand the money that was returned in the mouth of your sacks; perhaps it was a mistake.'" -Genesis 43.11-12

The brothers made camp and when they went to feed the animals they discovered the money that they had paid for the grain with. They aren't sure what happened, but suddenly they are afraid. Eventually they would need more food, and they still had a brother there in Egypt, but now it would seem as if they had stolen their money back.

The time came to go back. They had convinced their father to send Benjamin with them, but there is still the issue of money. Their father offers his wisdom. Take double the money and what was returned. In addition to this, take some of what we have and offer it as a gift. Do what is right.

Men, what do you do when you get too much change? What do you do when you end up accidently getting something for nothing? Do you make it right, or smile at your fortune and let it go? I've found myself in both situations. When I've gotten too much change I've given it back. I have to admit there was one time I got something for nothing and didn't do anything about it. It was late, I bought IBC Root Beer for a guys night, and after I had gotten back on campus I realized the cashier had only charged me for one of the three packs I had bought. Had I caught it at the store I would have said something, but since I was on the other side of town at 1:30 AM, I just went with it.

I wouldn't do that again. I want to be a man who always does the right thing. I don't want anything to compromise my integrity. Yes, it was only $5, but still, it was $5 of material I hadn't paid for. Men, let us always do the right thing.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment