Saturday, April 12, 2014

Point Others to God

"Joseph then answered Pharaoh, saying, 'It is not in me; God will give Pharaoh a favorable answer.'" -Genesis 41.16

Here Joseph is standing before Pharaoh. One of the most powerful men in the world is looking him in the eye and seeking his guidance. It would be easy to draw attention to himself, making himself stand out, and creating a name for himself. But that isn't the approach he takes. He doesn't say, "Yes Pharaoh, tell me your dream and I'll give you the answer." Instead he sets himself aside and says, "No, it isn't me. Instead, look to God." He has the opportunity to set himself apart, but instead he draws all the attention to God.

Men, when you find yourself in situations like this, what do you do? When I first started this new job I was talking with the guy who was training me about everything God had brought my wife and I threw in the last two years. As I shared about the financial struggles we'd had, the unemployment and having living with family, and how God had taken care of us he told me, "You got yourself through that. Take credit for it." But I couldn't. I told him, "But I didn't. So many things happened that was out of my control. We only made it because of God."

If we don't give God the credit we do two things. First, we take credit that isn't ours to receive. We rob God of the glory that He alone is worthy of. Two, when we take credit from God, we say to Him we don't need Him. And if we tell God we don't need Him, He politely leaves because He's a gentleman. When God leaves, we're left to our own devices, and we've already seen what a mess that gets us into.

What would have happened had Joseph taken credit and God didn't give him the interpretation to Pharaoh's dream? Back to prison? Death? Certainly the future that unfolded wouldn't have taken place. What do we miss out on by taking credit to God? And when we give Him the credit, we point the focus of others towards Him.

We are here on this earth to help others focus on God. The more glory we give Him, the more focus we take off of us and turn to Him. Joseph told Pharaoh straight up, "It's not me, but God." From the beginning he is pointing Pharaoh to God. Who are we pointing others to, us or God?

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment