Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Your God

"So Israel set out with all that he had, and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac.  God spoke to Israel in visions of the night and said, 'Jacob, Jacob.'. And he said, 'Here I am.'. He said, 'I am God, the God of your father; do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you a great nation there.'"  -Genesis 46.1-3

Jacob is on his way to Egypt, and he stops to make camp and offers sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac.  That night God speaks to him in dreams, and He identifies himself as the god of his father.  Why?

Jacob has twelve sons.  God has appeared to him and wrestled with him.  Jacob has received a new name from God, and been invited into the covenant.  Why is God still identified as Isaac's God?

There has been a lot in Jacob's life that has seemed like complacent apathy.  He's failed to act and stand up to injustice.  He has refused to deal with issues with his sons.  Maybe Jacob hasn't owned his relationship with God.

Men, I don't want God to address me as the God of my father, I want Him to be my God.  What do you want?  Is the way you live drawing you closer to God and into a more personal and intimate relationship with Him?  Is God your God?

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor




No comments:

Post a Comment