Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Take Care of Your Parents

" To his father he sent as follows: ten donkeys loaded with the best things of Egypt, and ten female donkeys loaded with grain and bread and sustenance for his father on the journey."  -Genesis 45.23

Joseph has done very well, and now for the first time in over a decade is able to interact with his family.  He has reconciled with his brothers and is sending them back to bring their families to Egypt.  And from what he had, he sends gifts to take care if his father.

Men, we need to make sure we take care if our parents.  I've seen my dad take care of my grandmother, but I've watched my mom and aunt do most of the work for their father.  My uncles are great but they seem to leave that task to their sisters.

It does seem to almost be a woman's task.  My dad has said if my mom goes first he's moving in with my sister and her husband.  I see my wife stepping in over her brother to take care of her parents.  And then you have all those people that completely forget about their parents and put them in a home where they never even visit, not even on Christmas.

Men, let us step up as men here.  Let us take care of those who took care if us.  They may not have done the best job, but they gave you life.  They helped you when you couldn't help yourself.  When the time comes to return the favor don't push it off on your sister or wife or some random nurse.  Be there, and take care if your parents.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment