Monday, August 4, 2014

Holy Places

"Speak to Aaron and to his sons, saying, 'This is the law of the sin offering: in the place where the burnt offering is slain the sin offering shall be slain before the Lord; it is most holy'." -Leviticus 6.25

The instructions on the sacrificial system continue, and I have a feeling tomorrow night is going to be an extremely difficult post. Tonight, however, this stood out to me on a third read through. Side note, sometimes we need to read the text a couple of times, maybe even listen to an audio recording of it, to see what God is trying to tell us.

We see here that the place where the burnt offering and the sin offering were slain was a holy place. Serious work happened there, men were given atonement by the blood of an innocent animal. It was a big deal, and so God said that the place where it happened was a holy place.

Men, do you know where you found forgiveness? Could you take someone to the place where you entered into a relationship with Jesus? Could you show them the spot where you prayed? These places are important spots in our journey, because they mark life changing moments. Think back to Genesis, when God spoke an altar would be built to mark the spot. Today you might not be able to build a physical altar (depending on the spot you might be able to), but did you build a spiritual one?

If you're ever with me on the campus of Mount Vernon Nazarene University, I could take you to the spot where I knelt on July 13, 2002 and asked Jesus to be the Lord of my life. I could show you the spot where as a college freshman in October of 2005 I laid on my back and began to really go deeper with Him, understanding that He wanted all of me. I could show you the spot up where I used to sit silently in the dark, enjoying the presence of God. I could take you to the prayer room that I spent more time in than my bed during January of 2008. I could show you holy places in my life.

Where are your holy places? Where has God spoken to you? Where has your life been transformed? These spots are important, not because there is something supernatural about them, but because of what took place there. It is physical proof of what God has done in your life. Where are they?

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment