Friday, August 1, 2014

Speak Up

"Now if a person sins after he hears a public adjuration to testify when he is a witness, whether he has seen or otherwise known, if he does not tell it, then he will bear his guilt." Leviticus 5.1

God wants His people to be truthful at all times. If they knew the truth about a happening, either as an actual witness, or by having heard something about it, they need to offer the information they have. If not, then they are guilty because of their silence. When we know something, we need to speak up.

To the left there is a quote from Kingdom of Heaven. Before Godfrey dies he knights his son, Balian, by giving him this oath, " Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath." Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. No matter what, we need to speak up with what we know, if not then we are guilty.

Men, how often do we keep silent? This trait goes all the way back to the first one of us. When Adam needed to speak up most desperately, he kept his mouth shut. Instead of speaking the truth about what God had said to the serpent and his wife, he remained silent, allowing the world to fall under the curse of sin and death. And all of these centuries later we are still struggling with the same thing.

Why do we have the tendency to stay silent? Are we afraid we'll be criticised, or that we'll face ramifications for the truth? Is it a lack of confidence in what we have to say and the credibility we feel that we may not have? Is it complacency, thinking that someone else will speak up, so I don't need to do anything?

Recently I became aware of a possible situation, and I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't have any proof, and I didn't really have all that much information to go on, but I couldn't get it out of my mind. I knew I needed to speak up and do something. Finally I did. I don't know what will happen, if anything, I don't know if the situation is even true, but if it is, and I didn't say anything, then one day when I stand before God I'll have to tell Him why. But because I did say something I can face Him without guilt on this matter. It isn't up to me what happens next, it's my responsibility to speak up.

Who knows what terrible things we might prevent by speaking up. And who knows what terrible things might happen because we didn't. Which one would you rather find out: look what you prevented, or look what you could have? Let us be bold and courageous, and let us speak up.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment