Thursday, August 7, 2014

It Takes Time

"You shall not go outside the doorway of the tent of meeting for seven days, until the day that the period of your ordination is fulfilled; for he will ordain you through seven days. The Lord has commanded to do as has been done this day, to make atonement on your behalf. At the doorway of the tent of meeting, moreover, you shall remain day and night for seven days and keep the charge of the Lord, so that you will not die, for so I have been commanded." -Leviticus 8.33-35

After the ceremony wraps, the process of ordination is not complete. Aaron and his sons must remain in the tent of meeting for seven days. This isn't a couple hour service and then it's over, remember this is serious business, and it takes time. The Bible doesn't tell us what took place during this week, but I think it's safe to assume there was a lot of interaction with God.

Think back to Exodus, and Aaron's failure to lead the people. Think to what it said about Joshua, how he would not leave the tent of meeting all night. Maybe this was Aaron's chance to do what Joshua had done. God is preparing Aaron and his sons to represent the people before Him. He did pick names out of a hat and set them to work; He intentionally chose these men, and intentionally ordained them. The process was serious, and it took time.

Men, there are many things in life that aren't instantaneous. Everything worth doing takes time to accomplish. Holiness takes time, a lifetime in fact, and even then we don't fully attain it. The masculine journey also takes a lifetime. I realize I started with the major ones and now really don't feel like I need to give any other examples.

My own path to ordination was a seven year journey. I spent four years academically preparing, meeting the course requirements laid out by the denomination. During part of that time I began to undertake part of the experiential hands on aspect, but a majority of that came in the three years following college. But during all of that God was at work in me. He was molding my character, shaping my thinking, transforming my views. It took time, and even though I have been ordained, the process still continues. God is still at work in me, and He is still at work in you.

It takes time, are you in it for the long haul?

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment