Monday, August 11, 2014

Who Will We Be

"For I am the Lord who brought you up from the land of Egypt to be your God; thus you shall be holy, for I am holy." -Leviticus 11.45

Chapter 11 talks about animals that are clean and unclean for Israel. The clean they could eat and the unclean they couldn't. But this isn't about a list of do this, don't do that, it's so much more than that. God isn't about a list of do's and don'ts (wow that looks weird, but I googled it and it's right). Faith isn't about actions or works, though they are an important indicator of the sincerity of faith. God isn't about what we do, but rather who we are. God's biggest concern is about the be.

God says that His people are to be holy because He is holy. Holiness is the point, and we don't do holy, we are holy, or not. These things that God is laying out for his people in terms of animals to eat and not eat is to set them apart. That's what holiness is, it's being set apart for God.

Men, holiness is the point, so let us be holy. God has delivered us from the bondage of sin, a figurative Egyptian slavery. He has called us to be His men, set apart and devoted to the work He is doing. More than ever we need to be holy.

I'm just going to spill some thoughts out now, no post editing, just typing and sharing. As I've watched the events of this year unfold, both nationally and globally, I'll be honest that at times I've been scared. I'm legitimately concerned with the future of this nation. Part of me has wondered why I was born in the mid 1980's and have to deal with all of this. But every time my mind wanders there I think of the words of Gandalf in The Fellowship of the Ring.

Frodo says, "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened." To which Gandalf replies, "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought."

We cannot choose what time we are given, simply what to do, or who to be, with the time we are given. God doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't do things haphazardly. We were meant to be here now, during this time, and that is an encouraging thought. God intended for us to be here. What will we do with the time that is given to us? Who will we be?

Will we be holy and stand firm against evil and injustice? Will we be set apart, going against the grain of what is popular and easy in pursuit of what is right and holy? Will we be men of God? Who will we be?

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment