Friday, November 29, 2013

The Way of the Wild Heart, Chapter 13: Raising the King, part 4

"Speaking of the relationships a King needs, by this point in your life you ought to be a father to younger men... Who are the young men In your life?"  Now we come to a crucial part in the journey, the part where the cycle begins again.  We become Kings and then we begin to father others.  Who are you initiating?

Too many get to this point and begin to withdraw.  They go through the mid life crisis or fall into a sense of entitlement, and the destructive cycle begins all over again.  It is time we took a stand and said enough!  It's time we act like Kings, and kings rule for the sake of others.  We must rule for the hearts of young men who will be lost if we don't.

"There are many men - as you well know - in desperate need of someone to show them the way.  We reached this point of desolation - this period in time when most men are unfinished, uninitiated men who have no clue what to do with themselves - because as a culture and a church we abandoned masculine initiation.  Now we must fight to get it back.  Who will offer it, if not you?"

There is so much I want to say here.  As I typed that out I kept thinking of the Basic series by Francis Chan.  He's teaching about the basics of the faith in a series of DVD lessons and as he talks we see three young people on a journey.  When they reach the destination and rest we find them going back to show others the way.  That is the only way we find it, when we are led by someone who knows where they are going.

We are initiated so that we can initiate others.  Sadly the ritual and tradition has been lost, but we must get it back.  My dad didnt initiate me, because my grandpa didn't initiate him.  And he didn't because my great grandpa didn't initiate him.  I'm not sure how far back the cycle goes, but it's one I am determined to end.  I am so grateful to John Eldredge for the work he has done that has helped me be fathered and initiated by God.  And now that I know the way, or rather know part of the way, I must lead others in it.  That's part of the reason this blog exists.  And you have the same responsibility.

"Some of these boys and young men just need a father to speak affirmation into their hearts.  You can help them feel like Beloved Sons."  You can't fully initiate every man you ever meet, and God doesn't expect you to.  But you can help each man begin to find his true identity so he can heal and begin the journey.

"Some are young Cowboys needing to be called into adventure."  You can do this.  Offer encouragement at sporting events, invite your son's friends along on adventures with you.  Have them help with work projects, they'll learn valuable lessons and you'll begin to teach them about their strength.

"Others are Warriors needing a good King to follow.  As King, you ought to have a round table of your own, with young Warriors around you."  Help them find a cause to fight for, and train them for battle.  Be a leader they want to follow, that they are willing to shed blood for.  Give them a purpose bigger than themselves.

"Some of these fatherless men are even Kings and Sages -at least, in age - but they have been taken out by the enemy and by life, and they need a man to help them get back into the battle."  I think with the experiences I've endured in the past few years this is an area where God is going to use me in the future.  Helping men see that, yes life will knock you down, but "it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

Only we can break the downward cycle we find ourselves in.  God will initiate us so that we can initiate others, but we have to be intentional if we want to see change.  Who is willing to join me?  Who will join the phalanx and take back masculine initiation?  Recently I added a picture, quote and invitation to the bottom of the blog, an invitation to follow it and join the phalanx.  I would love to see hundreds of men as followers, not  so I can brag about the number of people who read my thoughts, but so we can show the enemy that he has opposition when it comes to taking out men.  We aren't going to back down, for us it is victory or death on the battle field.

If you're willing to take a stand beside me I invite you to join the ranks, add your shield to our wall, and lets go rescue the hearts of men.  Who's with me?

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment