Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Way of the Wild Heart, Chapter 6: Raising the Cowboy, part 6

I never planned on spending so much time in this chapter, but as I read I felt that almost every sub-section of the chapter needed to be its own post. But finally we come to the end of chapter six.

This final section poses a question, "But who will do this for me?" As we look at the journey of masculine initiation, it's clear that we need to be guided. Some are blessed with father's who are able to lead them, and actually do. Others aren't so fortunate. They have dads who were never initiated themselves, and even though some of them want to do more for their sons, are unable to because they haven't walked the path. But there is one who can initiate us, and more than that is willing and able to. He desires to, and He knows your heart, and what it needs, better than anyone else, because He created it. "God. Your Father will do this for you."

"I've seen so many men walk away disappointed when I've told them this. Perhaps it was from an unhealed father wound. Perhaps they don't realize that there is an intimacy available with God far better, much closer than what they've heretofore experienced. But my brothers, do not despair. God wants to father you. Has been fathering you for some time - you just haven't had the eyes to see it. In fact, even the best father can only take you so far. He was never meant to be your all-in-all. Rather, he was meant to bring you to the the Father."

I'm one of those guys who would walk away disappointed. The biggest struggle I have right now is that I have so many questions that only God can answer, and He isn't giving any. I face trial after trial, and I feel so alone, at times like no one, not even God, cares. But it all comes down to seeing things from His point of view. It comes down to knowing that I AM God's Beloved Son, and that in order to move through the stages of Warrior, Lover, King and Sage, I have to face the trials of the Cowboy stage.

I'm one of those people that isn't ashamed to seek the wisdom of older men who I respect and trust. Over the last few months I've started to be able to open up again as I've found a safe place in my pastor and another pastor friend. And the biggest frustration I've had is that even they are unable to answer my questions. All they can do is point me to God and offer encouragement. They've done more than say "I'll pray for you." They've listened and asked questions. They've shared experiences and offered encouragement. And they continue to be there for me. But ultimately all they can do is point me to the Father. "God will, at times, provide men to 'fill in the gaps'... You might find a mentor to walk you personally through many stages, but we all know by now that he's hard to find. Don't insist that it come from one man."

"God mostly wants to do our initiating directly, personally, himself. He wants the same relationship with us that Jesus - as a man - experienced with him during his journey on this earth. Remember - you are the son of a kind, strong, and engaged Father, a Father wise enough to guide you in the Way, generous enough to provide for your journey, offering to walk with you every step. Whatever else might seem true, this is what is most true."

God is at work in your life and mine brothers. He desires the intimacy with us, His sons, as we desire to have with our father. He is inviting us to walk this journey with Him as He initiates us into Men of God. He knows our hearts, and what they can handle, and He is with us as we face the trials and live the adventures. He is willing, are we?

"Father, take me there. Take me back to things that were lost, or unfinished, or never even started. Take me into the Cowboy stage and do this work in my soul. Father me here. Give me eyes to see, both where you have been fathering me and I didn't know it, and where you are initiating me now, though I might be misinterpreting it. I want to be brave and true. I want a strength, and I want to offer it to others. Lead me on."

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment