Wednesday, February 26, 2014

God of the Father

"The Lord appeared to him the same night and said, 'I am the God of your father Abraham; do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you, and multiply your descendants, for the sake of My servant Abraham.'" -Genesis 26.24

Look at how God identifies Himself to Isaac here. "I am the God of your father". This is the first time we see this phrase in Scripture, but think about what it means. Abraham had a personal relationship with God. He served, obeyed and worshiped Him. God led, and Abraham followed. God was Abraham's God. And so now God appears to Isaac and introduces Himself. Isaac is invited to follow God and take part in the covenant.

I am the God that your father followed. He obeyed Me and I took care of him. I established My covenant with him, and just as he trusted Me, you can trust Me. I will bless you and be with you because of your father. And just as his father did, Isaac built an altar to mark the spot where God had spoken. The God who took care of his father has come to him, and Isaac is ready and willing to follow.

Men, who, or what, is your god? What will present itself to your children with the promise of I'll treat you as I treated your father? Alcohol? Wealth? Sex? These things that rule your life and lead only to destruction. Or will it be God, Yahweh, who says, "Your father followed Me. He trusted me all his life, and I took care of him. If you will trust Me as he did, I will take care of you as well. I am the God of your father."

Who do you want your children to follow and serve? You had best follow and serve the same thing. Your children are watching you, and they want to be like you. Set the right example for them. One day have God speak to them and introduce Himself as "The God of your father."

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment