Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Love Your Wife

"Then Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and he took Rebekah, and she became his wife, and he loved her; thus Isaac was comforted after his mother's death." -Genesis 24.67

The servant returns with Rebekah, and she and Isaac are married. And for the first time in the Bible we are told that a man loved his wife. This is the first mention in scripture of a husbands love for his wife. We are never told that Adam loved his wife, or Noah, or even Abraham. Isaac is the first to have that said about him. Was there something different about the relationship he had with her? I don't know. But if this is the first time it's worthy of mention, my guess is maybe.

Men, some of us are married, and some of us aren't. Some of us have been, and some of us will be. Can it be said of you that you loved your wife? Will it be said of you that you love your wife? In our culture the word has been watered down to the point where we love our wives, and we also love some particular food, or movie, or activity.

I want it to be said of me, that I loved my wife. Not just in the fact that we stayed married until we die, but that I enriched her life. That I blessed her and allowed her to unveil her captivating beauty. I want to love my wife in a way that stands out, in a way that is worthy of mention.

I have no doubt that men loved their wives long before Isaac and Rebekah, but something about the love of this man for his wife was worthy of being mentioned. I want to be like that. I want to love my wife.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment