Thursday, February 20, 2014

Satisfied with Life

"Abraham breathed his last and died in a ripe old age, an old man and satisfied with life; and he was gathered to his people." -Genesis 25.8

This verse has stood out to me for a while. Abraham dies at a ripe old age, old and satisfied with life. Oh that this would be the result for every man. How many get to the end and wish they had lived more? Not necessarily longer, but lived more fully alive. How many men get to the end with regrets about all the time they wasted? How many men get to the end regretting the dreams they never pursued? How many get to the end without having enjoyed any of life?

I don't want that to be me, and I'm guessing neither do you. I want to live my life to the fullest, like Abraham. I want to set out into the unknown on a journey of faith, with God. I want to live ready to hear Him speak, and willing to obey whatever He asks. I want to do things right, and lay a solid foundation for those who come after me. And ultimately, I want to defend the defenseless and live to be a blessing to others.

That was how Abraham lived his life. Yes, he made some mistakes along the way, we all will, but he didn't let them discourage and depress him. When he came to the end of his life, he looked back over it with satisfaction, ready for what came next. Oh that we would all face death this way, not wishing we had just a little more time.

Let us live life to the fullest, so when the time comes, we can die satisfied with life.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment