Thursday, February 6, 2014

Old Weaknesses

"Abraham said of Sarah his wife, “She is my sister.” So Abimelech king of Gerar sent and took Sarah." -Genesis 20.2

Again we see Abraham pass his wife off as his sister. For a second time he enters a foreign land as a sojourner, and allows his wife to be taken by another man. I'm just like, "What the heck dude?!" So much has transpired since Egypt. God has spoken on several occasions. Abraham has received a new name, a covenant, and the sign of the covenant. And yet here he is pulling the same stunt again.

How many times have you beaten yourself up over the same sin that you commit time and again? How many times have you tried to move past it, and heal from it? And yet time and again it continues to be a struggle. And every time you hate yourself for giving in again.

First, let me say that that's a good thing. The fact that you are upset over the act is a sign of new life in you. You know who you were, you have entered something new, and are striving to live differently. You are aware of the wrongness of your actions, and what's more, you care about the wrongness of your actions. This is a sign of the work that God has done in you.

It is important to know that we cannot overcome our sins and struggles on our own. The more we rely on our strength and will power to resist, the more we fall into them, and the worse we feel when we do. It is only in the power of the Holy Spirit that we can overcome the sin in our lives. It is only in God's strength that we can triumph.

And so we must lean on Him more. We must draw ever closer to Him. The deeper our relationship with Him is the stronger we will be. But also, the closer I am to God, the more I want to do things that please Him, and the less I want to do things that displease Him. My desire to please God is stronger than my desire for any sort of gratification, and that gives me strength to resist the temptations that come.

My desire is to live my life in a way that gives glory to God, and with His help, and in His strength I am able to do that. He empowers me to do the right thing, even when it isn't the easy thing. He encourages me to speak the truth, even if it may lead to my death. He fills me with His spirit so that I can live in holiness. My old weaknesses are powerless compared to the new strength I have in Christ.

It will not always be easy, and there will be times we fail. In those moments we turn to God quickly, seeking His forgiveness and healing. We pray for God to lead us away from the situations, and when we find ourselves in them, to give us eyes to see the escape He has promised to provide. And the more we walk with Him, the easier it becomes. It takes time, but God is loving and patient, and He walks with us every step of the way.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment