Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Everyday Tasks

"He said, 'O Lord, the God of my master Abraham, please grant me success today, and show lovingkindness to my master Abraham. Behold, I am standing by the spring, and the daughters of the men of the city are coming out to draw water; now may it be that the girl to whom I say, "Please let down your jar so that I may drink," and who answers, "Drink, and I will water your camels also" —may she be the one whom You have appointed for Your servant Isaac; and by this I will know that You have shown lovingkindness to my master.'" -Genesis 24.12-14

A servant has been given a task by his master, and as he prepares to undertake it, he prays and seeks God's guidance. Yes, it's a fairly big task, finding a wife for your master's son, but as a servant he's used to be given tasks to do by his master. In some ways it's routine, everyday stuff. And yet he first seeks God and asks for success and guidance. How often is this our approach?

Everyday we have tasks to accomplish. Some big, some small. Some from work authorities, others from family members. Some life changing, and others common. Some of them seem so small and insignificant that we do them without thinking twice. What if we treated every task as this servant did? What if every undertaking began with asking God for success?

Prayer and seeking God would become a way of life. If everything I did I first sought God's blessing and guidance on, how many useless things would I avoid doing? If I were to pray for success from God on everything I did, how much stress and aggravation would I save myself? If I called on God in all of the small things, how much easier, and more natural, would it be to call on Him first during the big things? What if we made calling on God the central focus of our lives?

As men, it's easy to see a task and dive right into it. At work when we have the same thing to do day after day we can do it in our sleep. At home it's easy to zone out and just slide by. But what if we took a much more intentional approach and prayed over each task we undertake? How would you grow as a man?

Seeking God in all things, molds us into Men of God. Let us lift every task to Him, and watch His hand in everything we do.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment