Friday, February 28, 2014

United Front

"Now it came about, when Isaac was old and his eyes were too dim to see, that he called his older son Esau and said to him, 'My son.' And he said to him, 'Here I am.' Isaac said, 'Behold now, I am old and I do not know the day of my death. Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me; and prepare a savory dish for me such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, so that my soul may bless you before I die.' Rebekah was listening while Isaac spoke to his son Esau. So when Esau went to the field to hunt for game to bring home, Rebekah said to her son Jacob, 'Behold, I heard your father speak to your brother Esau, saying, "Bring me some game and prepare a savory dish for me, that I may eat, and bless you in the presence of the Lord before my death." Now therefore, my son, listen to me as I command you. Go now to the flock and bring me two choice young goats from there, that I may prepare them as a savory dish for your father, such as he loves. Then you shall bring it to your father, that he may eat, so that he may bless you before his death.'" -Genesis 27.1-10

Here's where it all comes out. The family favoritism of the parents has been known for decades by the twins. Esau, the first born, the rugged outdoors man, is loved by his father. Jacob, number two son, the gentle man who loves the finer things of life, has found acceptance with his mother. Jacob has already stolen his brother's birthright, and now Isaac is setting his affairs in order in preparation for his death. And here again we see the family drama unfold.

Isaac is prepared to bless his son Esau, to pass the covenant God made with Abraham on to him. Rebekah hears about it and begins to work behind the scenes in order to advance Jacob. She begins a plan to deceive her husband. Jacob does what she says and receives the blessing of his father.

This is what happens when we don't present a united front with our wives. The children will pit you against each other, and you'll do all that you can for your favorite child. Rather than doing what is best for you and your marriage. I wonder how their marriage was. It began with Isaac loving his wife, and we do have to keep in mind that it is a different culture in that part of the world. But looking at how they parent, I wonder how strong the marriage was.

Men, in marriage, and parenting, you must present a united front with your wife. The two of you became one in marriage. You stand together, or not at all. Isaac's family is so full of drama and deception because mom and dad weren't on the same page. What do you want for your marriage and your family? If you want chaos and drama, then follow the example here. Have favorite children, work against each other. But if you don't want this, then present a united front.

Work together. Work with her. She bears the opposite side of the image of God. She sees things in a way you really can't with out her. She has different gifts, different talents, different passions. Embrace them, and work with them. Be a united front and watch the effect it will have on your family.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment