Saturday, February 15, 2014

Help Them Follow

"The servant said to him, 'Suppose the woman is not willing to follow me to this land; should I take your son back to the land from where you came?' Then Abraham said to him, 'Beware that you do not take my son back there! The Lord, the God of heaven, who took me from my father’s house and from the land of my birth, and who spoke to me and who swore to me, saying, "To your descendants I will give this land," He will send His angel before you, and you will take a wife for my son from there. But if the woman is not willing to follow you, then you will be free from this my oath; only do not take my son back there.'" -Genesis 24.5-8

Abraham wants the best for his son. He wants a wife who is not a foreigner, but he also knows the promise that God has made to him. And we see that Abraham's desire is greater to follow God. He is sending his servant to get a wife for his son, with the clear instructions not to take his son back to the land he came from. God has promised this land to him, and he is not going to leave it.

As men, our greatest desire for those who come after us should be for them to follow God and receive the blessings He has promised. And if we are going to lay a strong foundation for them, we need to set them up as best we can. For Abraham, it was keeping his son in the land of promise. A man will do anything to win the heart of a beautiful woman, even leaving the land and staying where she lived.

As men, let us do all that we can to help the next generation follow God.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

To God alone be the Glory!

Strength and Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment